Helpful Tips
  1. Helpful Tips Plan for delays. If you are in the United States and your work permit or status needs to be renewed, realize that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is extremely backed up. So plan ahead and know your expiration dates. Get your applications filed early.
  2. Notify USCIS of address changes. You can do so either by mailing in Form AR-11 (available on the USCIS website), or better yet, through USCIS's website.. Also, be sure to send written word of your new address to every USCIS office that's handling an application of yours -- otherwise, the office might not hear of the change.

  3. Copy and track paperwork. Paperwork can get lost. Send all applications and other material by certified mail, with a return receipt, and keep a copy. They're not only your proof of filing, but may become the main copies in the USCIS files if the original is never found/received.

  4. Don't be late. Be extremely careful to arrive on time for any scheduled appointment with the USCIS, a U.S. embassy or consulate, or the U.S. immigration court. Arriving late -- or not at all -- can result in months of delays at best, and deportation from the U.S. at worst.
  5. Seek proper advice. Make sure you know from who and where your advice is coming. Everyone’s legal situation is different. Be careful of friend’s advice and rumors. Take your unanswered questions to an immigration attorney and an attorney you have researched.